Will E34 wheels fit on my E24?

Bigger brakes? More power? Stiffer suspension? This is place to ask.
1machiavelli

Will E34 wheels fit on my E24?

Postby 1machiavelli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi all,

My first (and very sorry looking) E24 has been wanting some new wheels and rubber for a few years now! All the rubber went cracked on the old girl and I was getting the laquer peel on the metric rims too. At the moment it has two e24 wheels and two e28! This plus the drivers door wouldn't open (until I removed all the cards etc) and the horribly repaired front wings have consigned her to being a donor car, that can be blasted up the private track once a week until a major part is required.

I have tried over the years to source some secondhand wheels with very little luck, as they have to be cheap. It is always the offset of the wheel that is the problem( the front), I have only found, so far, that e28 wheels work. I have found on gumtree some five bbs originals off of a 5 series H reg 535i, they are 16' and 225 wide( I am awaiting the rest of the info on tyre size). The 635csi is a 1983 without the flared arches.

The five wheels with rubber are going for £40. They are about a two hour round trip to get to though! I have asked the seller for the offset etc of the wheels and the rest of the info.

Is this worth a two hour drive too sort out the wheels?

By the way, my other '88 Highline 635csi, could do with a set of spare wheels.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have been following your site for many a year, lots of good grub! I am liking the desert!

I'll post on your zentrum when I take some pics.

Regards Chris.

unixnerd
Site Admin

Re: Will E34 wheels fit on my E24?

Postby unixnerd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:43 pm

E34 wheels fit perfectly unless they're from a 525iX four wheel drive (those have three series offsets). Prob is that the tyres are <i>slightly</i> too big.

The E34 takes 225/55/16 and you take 225/50/16s. It's not a big difference and I THINK you'll get away with it unless the car is lowered a lot. The speedo will read a couple of % low.

Please post pics :-)

I tend to find my wheels on ebay.
--
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW homepage!

1machiavelli

Postby 1machiavelli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Grand,

Thanks for such a quick response. My 83 635csi has not been lowered or modified in any way.

Have you found or has anyone recommended this site to you? http://www.bigcoupegroup.com/

I found it when I was looking up some wiring info on my highline six. It's the closest thing I can find to workshop manual online. I think all the wiring looms are pretty much the same between the European and American e24's. I'd be interested to know what you think of it as it took ages to find!

I've just purchased those H1 zenon lamps /bulbs and I'm looking forward to getting them in. I went for 55w in both dipped and main.

I think I will give it a punt with the wheels, I'll post some pictures for everyone. I believe I can get between 2-5mm spacers/inserts for clearance from the springs, although I haven't seen them going on ebay.

Also just out of interest do you rate these strut braces on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

I've heard they help tighten up the steering, is it a worthwhile upgrade or a gimmick?

Once I've given the great white shark a clean I'll stick some stuff on you zentrum!

Many thanks, Chris.

unixnerd
Site Admin

Postby unixnerd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:53 pm

I used to be a regular on the Big Coupe Groupe until my 635 was killed in action by a blind woman in a Corsa many years ago :-(

In my experience the US spec wiring diagrams are very similar to euro and fine for fault finding. I have old paper copies of the ETM and factory repair manuals.

You can run 100W main beams but if you do I'd drive them from a relay next to the headlights, E24 wiring won't cope. I have 100s on my E36 without a relay.

You shouldn't need wheel spacers with those wheels. If you do be sure to run longer wheel bolts too.

I had a Sparco E28 strut brace on my E24, cost my about 80 quid from Demon Tweeks and made a positive difference to the car. But my car had fairly stiff and (overly) lowered suspension. It'll be less noticeable on a stock car.

It's well worth replacing the rear Pitman arms ("dog bones") though. Often overlooked, very cheap and simple job. You'll get them on ebay for next to nothing.
--
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW homepage!

1machiavelli

Postby 1machiavelli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks,

Have a belated Happy New Year to you and yours. I'll post soon.

1machiavelli

Postby 1machiavelli » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi,

Sorry about no post but other things have been going on. I'm still looking for some wheels. I found these tonight!

2x Nexen 2000 literaly new tyres 225/60/R15 96H....and 2x Firestone,Firehawk with the good tyres 225/60/R15 96V

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-ORIGINAL-BBS- ... 2eacafcf1c

Do you reckon the 15's will fit? £50 at the moment. Shame is they are 15 rims though.

I just read your your sixer guide again, you recommend neatsfoot oil compound for the leather, does it have to be a certain brand? I just noticed my drivers seat is looking very tired? What do you reckon on the brand bellow?

Vanner & Prest Neatsfoot Oil Compound - 500ml

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vanner-Prest-Neat ... 3caabfaab4

Would this do the job?

Also I could do with those details about the wiring diagrams I'll quote you here "I have old paper copies of the ETM and factory repair manual" I need to get the temperature gauge working pronto. I only use it at the moment once every 2-3 weeks for a quick blast.

Also those 55 watt H1's were no good they were one pin, not two, I wasted £5 on lamps :(

Oh by the way my wing mirror is buggered, the spring is knackered. I went to fold back the great white sharks fin in and the superglue went! I can't get to the spring or anything! I'm thinking of using some clear mastic to hold it in position. My friend has suggested using resin to set it, but that seams a bit harsh to me. Suggestions, would be most welcome.

I have noticed the winter has been real hard on the old girl, time for her to be undersealed this summer and she needs the rear light cluster gasket doing. I'm going to give her another quick wash and post those pics as promised I'll get them out in the open so it'll look better.

Once again apologies for not getting back to you but life!

Thanks Chris.

georrgyutss

Will E34 wheels fit on my E24

Postby georrgyutss » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:56 am

This is my first T-rex. I ordered a 07 and I also ordered some after market wheels. I got 177 front wheels and 1811 rear. My question is what size tires should I use for them. I would like to put a 315 or 305 on the rear for the wide look. Will it fit?

Return to “BMW Upgrades”