E30 front brake upgrade

Bigger brakes? More power? Stiffer suspension? This is place to ask.
unixnerd
Site Admin

E30 front brake upgrade

Postby unixnerd » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Has anyone found a good way to upgrade the front brakes on an E30?

I don't really want to go to five bolt hubs so I'm after a four bolt solution that'll fit under 15" cross spokes and doesn't cost a small fortune. 280mm would be more than enough.

I'm also tempted to try an E24/E28 master cylinder. Anyone else had a go?
--
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW homepage!

georgen

Re: E30 front brake upgrade

Postby georgen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:11 pm

I found that ATE discs and pagid fast road pads on the front, and standard discs and pads on the rear provided more than adequate stopping power on my 325i.

Its's maybe worth upgrading the fluid too ?

George
02' 530i sport manual
01' 330ci sport coupe manual
08' Nissan Navara Outlaw

BigD

Postby BigD » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Hello from Toronto, Ontario, John!

Just want to start by saying thank you for this site! I've always liked BMWs but I became a true nut back in 2000 when I found this site. I come here every now and again to re-read things. I started with a '90 535i, added an 86 535i for a winter beater, then sold both and got a 92 M5. I got a 4Runner for a daily and for my toy I have an 87 325 which I've just finished converting to the full driveline of a 98 M3 (not your cool one, our 3.2 M52 - still beastly).

Anyway, regarding your question, find a set of calipers from an RX7 and use rotors from a Corrado. Should be cheap to put together, you just need a competent machinist to redrill the rotors properly, and design a mounting bracket for the calipers - and your wish is granted!

Regards,
Dmitry

unixnerd
Site Admin

Postby unixnerd » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:47 am

Thaks for the suggestion, it was very much the Corrado V60(?) discs I was thinking off, you machine 1mm from the centre I think?

Which version/year of the RX7 did you get the calipers from? I think I read they're aluminium, which is nice.

Do you have any design details of the brackets you had made up? Not too many good machine shops in the Highlands of Scotland. Would you be able to get a set made for me? I'd be eternally grateful :-)

Did you stick with the stock master cylinder or go larger?
--

BigD

Postby BigD » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:46 pm

For the rotors, yeah, you need the G60 rotors and machine out the bore a bit. For calipers, you can use FC or FD, they bolt up the same, but you should be able to find FCs for much less.

As for the brackets, I don't have a design but my friend has been dragging his ass for months to make a few, I can keep bugging him. I don't think it's a big deal to do though, there's bound to be someone you can dig up. Just make sure they know how to pick materials.

unixnerd
Site Admin

Postby unixnerd » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:05 pm

If you were able to get a set of brackets for me I'd be more than happy to cover your costs plus a bit over :-)

It'd totally make my day!
--

BigD

Postby BigD » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:43 pm

If he ever gets it done I'll get you a pair for free. It's the least I can do in thanks for your site. But no promises, he's a busy boy.

BigD

Postby BigD » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:07 pm

Found another guy in Canada who has already done it. Here is his drawing:

He's driving around with the setup now, to see how it works, and he will be mass-producing the brackets once it passes mustard. I'll get you a pair when it happens (if I remember - I have the attention span of a cockroach).

unixnerd
Site Admin

Postby unixnerd » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:46 pm

Wow! I can't believe it's such a simple bracket! Thanks, you've made my day :-)

Even I can make those!
--

BigD

Postby BigD » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:29 pm

Glad I could help!

By the way, if you want an upgraded booster/MC, I highly recommend the setup I have for my swap. I did it out of necessity to clear the manifold but it actually provides a very very tasty brake feel upgrade. It's the double chambered booster from the iX and the master cylinder from the E34 M5. The good news is that BOTH of these are used on the E32 735i. :) If you look for an E30 iX booster and M5 Master you'll easily pay 3-4x more. I ripped my set out of a crashed 735 for 80 bucks. The booster provides a lot more power assist and the MC is fatter and shorter, giving you a shorter stroke and firmer pedal. This will also help with the upgraded calipers - since if you don't touch the master cylinder and put in larger caliper piston area, your pedal will need to travel further to displace enough fluid for the same effort - whereas with the 25mm master from the M5/735 you will also increase your MC piston area.

Return to “BMW Upgrades”